Tuesday, June 18, 2013

It's all in her head

The damage that is. The best I can guess, when the muffler end cap blew off she started running very lean although the temperature gauge never got very high. At some point a cam seized and did a wonderful amount of damage.
So, I have three options. I can have the shop crate her up and ship her back to Oceanside and call the trip done. I can wait here until next week to put a new top end on her. Or, I can trade her toward a new KLR and swap over the trip bits. I'm waiting to here back about the repair bill and what the trade in value will be. Until then, I've gotten another hotel and returned the U-Haul. Now I wait.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like that is the intake cam. It's odd to me that a lean burn would seize up an intake side component. I would assume the exhaust side would melt and perhaps seize the valve in the guide, or even work the valve seat loose. I guess if the oil got hot enough things would get tight, but the temp gauge didn't indicate that. It also looks like the cam boss split, which would indicate either the cam journal expanded enough to fill the tolerance, or the boss shrunk enough to squeeze the journal, either of which point to a viscosity change in, or shortage of, the oil. I would suspect the temp gauge of being not very accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless a backfire sent the valve (shim etc) into the cam with enough force to do some damage. Doesn't really matter though as she's toast. I'm kind of wondering how many bikes this trip is going to consume.

    ReplyDelete