Friday, June 28, 2013

Hello New York

I didn't have time for a proper post yesterday, so here it goes.

After a great night of camping at Spruce Run in New Jersey where there were bear warnings on the benches, does wandering the camp sites, and bucks rutting in the trees I packed up, said goodbye to Luke and Taylor, then hit the road. First stop breakfast. I followed the interstate signs to the Readington Diner which I found makes really good hashbrowns. Hit a BofA to replenish my cash. Then braced myself for the drive into the city.
After a couple of detours I got to the Lincoln tunnel. The hot tip for dealing with tolls is to have a jacket with a key pocket in the arm and always have a $20 in there. That way you can pay and throw the change in a pocket without wasting too much time.
Within a few minutes I was soaking wet from sweat. I made it to Titus and Victoria's apartment where I unbagged Envy and changed into some jeans and headed for King Cycles in Brooklyn. After an hour of battling with Manhattan traffic, which isn't much better on a bike, I got to my destination. Envy's tucked away until Monday getting new shoes and an oil change. Then a short walk to the train station and I was back to the apartment. Titus, being the great host he is, had a cocktail waiting for me after my shower. Then another before dinner which was excellent Indian at a BYOB place where we split a bottle of Malbec. Victoria had to go back to a conference so Titus and I met up with Kyle at a bar for a couple of drinks in Alphabet City. Then another bar followed by a cigar lounge. I think the total for the night was five cocktails and two glasses of wine. Then back to the apartment for a shower and bed.
In the morning Titus and Victoria rushed Kinky Boots far too early (I think they left at 5:00-ish). I woke up much later for a run to Brooklyn Bagels and got us breakfast. Best bagels ever. A couple of loads of laundry. A little bit of work. And now I'm good to go for another night.

No comments:

Post a Comment