Thursday, July 11, 2013

These are the roads I'm looking for


The rain last night didn't do any damage to the trail. In fact, it seems to have washed away the gravel that was kicking my butt for the last couple of days. Instead I had long stretches of great dirt roads. And, as an extra bonus, the trail went up into the hills so it was a bit cooler too. 
There was nothing noteworthy in the morning other than helping a baby tortoise off the road. I passed through an old town at about 1:00 and stopped for lunch at the market/deli for lunch. 
The only technical bit today was a nice steep hill of fist sized rocks and plenty of ruts. Getting up it did a good number on my shoulder. At least Envy stayed upright during the ascent.
More good roads followed. At about 4:30 I decided that I didn't have enough gas to make it through the next section. So, I dropped down to I40 and headed to Alma. I'm disappointed with the Comfort Inn I'm staying at. The Savannah Motel was nicer. And, the WiFi here sucks.
The thing I really need to decide is how much of the trail I'm going to do. I have a bit more than a week left and there's no way I'm going to be able to do the whole trail. Do I skip a big chunk tomorrow to try to make time? Do I keep riding the trail and doing an hour or two of interstates in the afternoon? I'm not really sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment