Friday, July 12, 2013

Some beer is better than no beer

We have some absolutely screwy liquor laws in these United States. In Arkansas I couldn't get a beer to save my life. Now in Oklahoma I can get beer, but it's low alcohol. Something like 3.5%. Oh well. The next couple of days should be interesting. I'm entering a big section with no major cities and interstates are few and far between. I'm in the Bartlesville Econolodge tonight. There's a motorcycle shop just up the street, so I'm going to hit them up for an extra quart of oil even though I have a full bottle. I have no idea when I'll be near a bike shop again.
As for the trail. The back roads of Oklahoma aren't as well taken care of as they were in Arkansas. This is good and bad. In the beginning of Arkansas the gravel was really thick and tough to get through on a bike. In Oklahoma there isn't thick gravel, but there are rain ruts filled with natural rock and lots of pot holes. These are by far the roughest roads so far. But I'll take them over fresh gravel any day.
There were a few interesting technical bits. Yesterday I had to ascend a wall of rock. Today I had to descend a wall of rock. Plus it had a bend to it. It wasn't nearly as bad going down as it was going up. Also, there were a few nice water crossings. The only one that nearly caught me was a shallow gravel crossing. Unfortunately the gravel was on top of a soft mud bottom. It seemed strong enough when I walked it. Not so much. Shortly after riding into it the back wheel started sinking in. I had to get off Envy and push/guide her across while gently working the clutch.
Also, the people in Oklahoma don't seem as friendly as in previous states. I was sitting outside of a gas station, drinking a Gatorade, next to a woman that worked there. She couldn't even be bothered to return a hello. I guess I'm out of the friendly (if racist) south.

No comments:

Post a Comment