Sunday, July 14, 2013

I'm so done with Oklahoma

I woke up this morning to some serious wind. Not only that, but the only breakfast place around was a McDonalds. So, I ate an apple and drank some coffee from the hotel's "continental" breakfast and hit the road. As soon as I hit the trail I was disappointed. It seemed the rest of Oklahoma would be straight farm roads. That the the freaking insane wind didn't make for fun. To top it off I kept getting sprinkled on. The last thing I wanted was to be stuck in some muddy Oklahoma farm road. So, I found my way to the highway and stuck to it the rest of the day.
Did I mention the wind was insane? Up until Hooker (yes, really) I could barely do 50. At least I missed the rain. I seemed to be on the edge of storms all day. Getting a sprinkle here and there.
Before I actually got on the trail I saw the first bike set up for adventure touring other than my own. It was a F800GS riden by an older guy from Louisiana. He definitely wasn't adventure touring. Just taking highways to Oregon. He told me about a crazy storm he got stuck in in Tulsa. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but his was interesting. He seemed to have the entire Touratech catalog on his bike along with a shiny new Schuberth helmet and Klim gear. All very good stuff. But, no GPS?
At about 11:30 I was feeling the lack of breakfast. Luckily I passed through Gate, OK and spotted Laurie's Cafe. This is one of those gems of road food. There were about four big communal tables and I sat at one near the door because I definitely smell bad. The roast beef special was amazing. One of the other customers came over and asked what I was doing. Laurie then asked me to sign her guest book. Her husband was planning on doing the TAT before he passed away a couple of years ago. So, she loves seeing TAT riders stop in.
The rest of the day was a straight shot through the pan handle of Oklahoma. I couldn't wait to be done with that state. According to my GPS I clipped Texas on the way to New Mexico. Right as I entered New Mexico I got rained on a bit. It was almost like the state was saying "Oklahoma sucks. Here's a spritz to cool you off a bit." As I approached Clayton, NM I was not happy with what I saw.

hello new mexico

And I was heading right towards it. Thankfully I rolled into town right after the rain. I did get a couple of water crossings in today after all as the gutters were overflowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment