Thursday, July 18, 2013

The trip that keeps on giving

I woke up early(-ish) this morning looking forward to the ride out of town and towards Flagstaff. I showered and walked down the street to breakfast then loaded up Envy and started the GoPro. Unfortunately the housing fogged up near the end, so the time lapse won't look very good. But, here's a sample.
GOPR5721
I got to Silverton and filled up the gas tank and put the tires back to road pressure. While I was there I talked to a guy pulling a Suzuki dirt bike behind his car. He's been travelling around the country for the past few months. He doesn't have a goal but to do as many motorcross races as he can. When I was done, I wished him luck and pulled on the highway. More gorgeous roads as I headed to Durango.
Along the way I saw a KTM on the opposite side of the road and it's rider had all of his gear off. I decided to turn around to see if he needed help. He had run out of gas and had been waiting for a while for AAA to show up. I offered him the spare gas I've been carrying and he was floored that I had extra gas. As he was about to open the first bottle AAA showed up. He filled up and we talked about his bike and the trails I did the day before. Those KTM enduro bikes are damn nice. We then continued on our ways.
At the very end of Durango I noticed a liquor stored and decided to top off the Nalgene as it was running low. I felt a little sketchy pouring a bottle of Bourbon into a plastic bottle in plain view of traffic on the main street in town. You gotta do what you gotta do.
Then everything got boring. Outside of Durango the scenery gradually changes to wide open desert. Once in Arizona the roads become long straightaways. And the climate changes. I was chilly leaving Ouray. This morning was the first time in a long time that I had to pull out my sweatshirt. In Arizona the jacket got unzipped and things were getting hot.
I stopped at a reservation gas station to top off and get a Gatorade. When I got back to Envy there was a big BMW K bike parked next to her. I chatted with the owner a bit and he said he was heading for Tuba City which is on the way to Flagstaff. I pulled out, bracing for more long, hot, and straight roads. As I started getting close to Tuba City I got a wonderful light show. There was a big storm going, with more lightning than I've seen this entire trip, to my right. It seemed to be moving away from me and I continued on. Then, out of nowhere, about 10 miles from Tuba City, the wind started. Wind so strong the tumbleweeds were blurs as they shot across the road. First I slow down to 55. I'm still getting tossed around. So, down to 45. Still getting tossed around. And now the rain starts. I wind up crawling along in second gear and have to pull off whenever I see lights in the mirror. Finally I reach town and head for the Quality Inn that I saw billboards for. This was no weather to be picky about hotels in. As I rode through town I crossed the deepest water yet. I also got drenched by an ambulance going through the same deep water. I make it to the hotel and thankfully they have a room. I park and quickly unload Envy. By the time I took a shower and went for dinner the rain and wind had stopped. Maybe I should have pressed on to Flagstaff. One thing is for sure, there are no boring days on this trip.
Side Note 1: The stupid liquor laws continue. Tuba City is in a dry reservation.
Side Note 2: Yesterday's trails left me with some souvenirs. My left elbow doesn't seem to work right. My right wrist is very sore. My back has been hurting all day. And I seem to be walking with a limp now.

Update: My hotel room just got lit up by lightning. Looks like more rain is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment