Monday, July 8, 2013

It was going to happen eventually

The night before last I stayed at a KOA campground in Wytheville, VA. It seems to be a thing now that when I stay at a KOA the weather turns shitty and it rains all night. At least I got a bit of campfire in before the rain. Thankfully it stopped at about 8:30 in the morning and I showered, packed up and was out of there. The weather was great and I got close to a hundred miles right away. Unfortunately I had an absolutely mind splitting headache. Probably too much campfire smoke the night before. Since I was about 160 miles since my last fill up, it was time to top off. I pulled off at the next station and was a bit wobbly from 100 miles and a headache. As I was pulling my helmet off, I watched Envy topple over. The thing about Envy right now is she's very heavy and her suspension is well compressed. So, if I'm not careful to park her on flat ground or banked the right way, she will not stay upright. And, of course she fell towards the pump so there wasn't anywhere good to grab to get her up. A guy at the next pump helped me with her. After filling up I got her to the side of the station and checked the damage. It wasn't too bad; broken windscreen, shattered mirror, rotated from brake lever. Then it started raining. So, on with the rain gear. I adjusted the brake lever and taped up the windscreen to keep water away from the dash and I was off again.
The rain and headache kept up for a long time. I eventually had to pull off at a Hardee's to take a break. Unfortunately my headache was so bad at this point that I wanted to throw up. Since I generally avoid taking anything before riding I didn't want to pop any ibuprofen, but I gave in an took two as opposed to my usual three.
And the rain kept on. Before Knoxville I got stuck in traffic. Which sucks because lane splitting isn't legal in Tennessee. So, there I am sitting in bumper to bumper traffic and rain. Sucks. I eventually make it through the traffic and Knoxville. And I'm greeted by, ready, more bumper to bumper traffic. I think I drove by five or six accidents. The only ones I've seen since I left California. Once I cleared the last one I crested some hills. On the other side..... Sunshine!
I might make it to Nashville that day after all. But, my GPS said I was going to arrive around 8:30. I wanted to stop by and see Nathan and Tracy but didn't want to bother them that late. I stopped to fill up and realized I might be in mountain time. Check the phone and yup, I gained an hour. A quick call to Nathan and he graciously offered me a bed for the night.
About an hour later I was at Nate's place. Which is awesome. Nashville is definitely a cool place. His house is awesome and he took me to a nice BBQ place up the street. Back to his place and we drank from the sacred Nalgene bottle and off to bed. Then breakfast at Frothy's (sp?) and I was off to the nearest shop to see if I could get a mirror and screen. They of course didn't have them in stock, but they had a used KLR for sale that they pulled the parts off of for me. Score! A quick run down the 65 to the nearest Home Depot for some mounting tape for the Laminar Lip and now I'm at Starbucks plotting my entry onto the trail.
Let's see how that goes!

1 comment: