Friday, July 19, 2013

34

Thirty four. That's how many days ago I left California. Today I've returned.
I left Tuba City quickly. It was a handy stop at a rainy, windy moment. But, I really didn't want to spend more time there than I needed to. The restaurant next to the hotel was probably the worst place I've eaten during this entire trip. That included McDonalds, Denny's, and the Waffle House.
Flagstaff came and went relatively quickly and I headed to Sedona. Who knew that there were gorgeous mountains like that hidden in the desert that is Arizona. The only problem is that it was over run by tourists. I didn't stop there but the guy I offered gas to yesterday said that there are some amazing trails around Sedona. Sounds like a possible reason to return. I then made my way to Cottonwood to pick up a quart of oil. I'm fairly sure the next motorcycle shop I'll pass by is in San Diego county. I don't really need to be caring another quart. Better safe than sorry though. Then, off to Jerome, which I've wanted to visit for a while. It was just a drive through, but it was everything I expected. Prescott was the next waypoint.
After Prescott I stopped by the side of the road to take a quick break. While I was sitting there drinking my water, a guy rides up on a bicycle. He's been riding for eight weeks from Virginia and is heading for San Diego. Now that's a trip. While we were talking a guy pulls up in a Jaguar. He transports cars and is driving this one to Newport Beach. Three people, three different modes of transport, heading for about the same place. Interesting, random, meeting.
The roads from Flagstaff to outside of Prescott were fun. Sections of very tight twisty mountian roads that made me wish I had the Monster with me instead of Envy. There's something about a heavily loaded KLR with knobby tires that isn't as fun on mountain roads as a Ducati. Once I dropped out of the hills south of Prescott the roads got decidedly boring. And hot. So, I continued on the 89 then the 60 toward Blythe. By the time I got on the last twenty miles of the I10, the wind started picking up. It stayed manageable at 65 until I crossed the border.
Once in Blythe, I made straight for the local Best Western. Best Western has been consistently the best hotels I've stayed in. Once i was checked in, I unloaded Envy, took off the riding gear, and headed for the hot tub. After a quick soak, I showered and walked across the street for diner and a surprise. The "coffee shop" I went to also has a full restaurant and bar in the back. This place is right out of the 60s. Red leather booths, stone walls, brown/tan stained glass. I felt like I was in a old Tom Waits song. The surprise was I got a fairly passable Manhattan there. Other than New York I've been lucky to get a beer. Who would have figured I would get a decent cocktail in Blythe?
The heat sapped me. I'm going to try to wake up early and take the long way to Palm Desert, through Mecca, tomorrow.

1 comment: