Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Made it to Arkansas already

The day started out pretty good. I grabbed breakfast at Huddle House. I've seen them all over the place, but this is the first time I tried it. Not the best food. But cheap and I couldn't be picky.
My first stop was the Lowes I saw driving into town. I somehow lost a bolt on my crash bars. After the water crossing yesterday I wanted all of the crash protection I could get. Then onto the trail.
Today was fairly uneventful. The only water crossing was unplanned at Sulfur Spring. The river rose and washed out the road. Thankfully a local named Dustin was there with his quad checking the depth so I didn't have to. He said it was five feet where he was. No way I could make that. So I had to explore for an alternate route. It didn't take long, but the day was getting hot. Also, the easy dirt road of yesterday were replaced by thick gravel roads. I really hate gravel. It seemed all of the road were the same gravel. But, I ventured on. Eventually I crossed into Mississippi and stopped for some food.
Now, here's where I wuss out a bit. It was about 4:30 and I was beat. I was hot and worn out from all that gravel. Since I was right on the highway I checked to see how far it was to the campground at the end of the Mississippi section. Only about 2 hours. So, I did it. It probably would have taken a solid day of the trail to get where I am now. Right or wrong, its done. I'm at Storm Creek now. Still sweating my ads off in my tent.
Also, as I was on the highway I realized I never test my air pump. So I decided to stop and give it a try. Good thing too. The 3 amp fuse I had in the cigar lighter wasn't up to the challenge. Luckly I found a Auto Zone nearby and picked up some 15 amp fuses. One will go in in the morning. Then, back to the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment